1. HOW DOES BRIEF STRATEGIC THERAPY WORK?·
- It is a Therapeutic Approach for GREAT SUCCESS, since the interventions are practical, focus on the resolution of problems in SHORT TIME. ·
- It has STRATEGIES that adapt to the specific needs of each situation so that people can apply them in their daily lives. ·
- The METHODOLOGY allows people to make simple, perfectly achievable changes.
- The focus is in the PRESENTE and in the current functioning of problems.
- There are two basic concepts in the BRIEF STRATEGIC THERAPY:
- DISFUNCTIONAL SOLUTIONS: are those behaviors or acts that people repeat systematically with the intention of solving their problems, finding the opposite: maintaining the problem, making it worse or making it even more complicated.
- PERCEPTIVE REACTION SYSTEM: refers to the perception that people have of their problematic situations. During Therapy, we change these dysfunctional perceptions into functional ones.
¿HOW DOES A STRATEGIC THERAPIST WORK?
• Instead of asking ourselves WHY a person has a certain problem, we focus on HOW the dynamics of the problems WORK, to identify how they can be changed in the shortest possible time.
• We unblocked the problems in a short time and in an effective way, because we reduce the complexity of the problematic situations based on the analysis of the dynamics of the problems.
• First we work on the behavioral change (the action), to then work on the cognitive change (the thinking).
• We guide people to find solutions under their own personal resources, promoting individual autonomy.
¿WHAT IS THE METHODOLOGY THAT I USE?
• I rely on the studies of Professor Giorgio Nardone, known worldwide for his effective interventions and research, and who create the “Center for Brief Strategic Therapy” in Arezzo-Italy, where I was directly trained.
• This methodology is the evolution created by the MRI of Palo Alto (California), together with Paul Watzlawick, and subsequently perfected in Europe. Likewise, the theoretical foundations of the BRIEF STRATECIC THERAPY include the studies of Milton Erickson, Radical Constructivism and Cybernetics.
¿WHY SELECT BRIEF THERAPY INSTEAD OF OTHER THERAPIES?
• When dealing with Brief Therapies we can shorten human suffering.
• We work under different premises than Traditional Therapies and we have effective tools capable of dismantling apparently complex problems.
• Intervening in the problems in the current dynamics is effective in time and effort.
¿WHEN IS RECOMMENDED TO USE BRIEF STRATEGIC THERAPY?
• When the person knows what to do to solve their problem, but finds it difficult to put it into practice or communicate it strategically.
• When people do not know what strategies to use.
• When it is difficult for the person to keep the changes he/she has made.
¿HOW MANY SESSIONS ARE NECESSARY?
• The Therapies last approximately 10 sessions.
• From the first session the intervention begins, and usually the first breakouts occur in the second or third session. After this, we go to a consolidation phase of the changes until the final solution of the problem.
• In the beginning, the therapies are done weekly and then performed biweekly.
• Once the personal achievements have been obtained, sessions are held distanced in time to avoid future relapses. These follow-ups are carried out: monthly, three months, six months and year, to ensure that the changes have been maintained over time.
¿WHAT IS THE RELATION BETWEEN BRIEF STRATEGIC THERAPY AND HYPNOTHERAPY WITHOUT TRANCE?
• BRIEF STRATEGIC THERAPY uses hypnotic communication techniques, both verbal and non-verbal, that reduce the resistance to change that occurs during therapies.
• These maneuvers are used within the therapeutic sessions either during the Strategic Dialogue that characterizes the Brief Strategic Therapy, or through restructuring or in the use of elements such as metaphors that manage to evoke sensations capable of changing dysfunctional perceptions.
• Even the prescriptions or tasks of the Brief Strategic Therapy manage to evoke these states similar to hypnosis while the patient is lucidly present.